When it comes to weight loss, finding nutritious and satisfying foods is essential. Speaking of this, many wonders if instant oatmeal can aid in losing weight. This article has brought an analysis to make you understand whether it is worth adding to your diet.
Let’s get down to business.
Is Instant Oatmeal Good For Weight Loss?
Let us see what goes into making an instant oatmeal.
Making And Ingredients
People usually pour hot water or milk into a bowl or packet of oatmeal. They then wait a few minutes and add fresh fruits like apples, bananas, berries, etc., and diced nuts for extra flavor and to make it healthier.
Instant oatmeal is usually made from rolled oats (pre-cooked and dried). It often comes in single-serving packets and is available in various flavors, including plain, apple-cinnamon, maple-brown sugar, and more. Additional ingredients, such as sugar, salt, and flavorings, may be included in flavored varieties.
How can oatmeal help you lose weight?
The above section shows how little yet nutritious ingredients go into oatmeal. We will now share how it can help you lose weight:
- Oats have soluble dietary fiber, which is known to ease digestion. Additionally, it helps avoid hunger pangs and makes you feel full for a long time.
- The complex carbohydrates in oatmeal are digested more slowly compared to simple carbohydrates. This gradual digestion helps maintain stable blood sugar levels and prevents rapid spikes and crashes.
- It is a nutrient-dense food, providing essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Oats are rich in polyphenols, which act as antioxidants. The most famous is avenanthramides, a class of antioxidants found only in oats.
- Numerous research has demonstrated the efficiency of oats’ beta-glucan fiber in lowering total and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
- The release of bile may be increased by beta-glucan, which lowers blood cholesterol levels. Additionally, oats might stop LDL (bad) cholesterol from oxidizing.
Pros and Cons of Oatmeal
- Instant oatmeal is quick and easy to prepare, making it a convenient option for busy people who are always in a rush.
- It is suitable for lazy people who eat unhealthy foods but want to kickstart a healthy and fit journey.
- It keeps you feeling full for a long.
- Some flavored instant oatmeal varieties can contain added sugars, artificial flavors, and preservatives. These additives can lead to excess calorie intake and may not align with a healthy weight loss plan.
- If eaten in excess, it can lead to bloating and diarrhea.
So, portion control is vital when it comes to eating instant oatmeal. They are quick and perfect for a ready-to-eat breakfast. They serve the same purpose as regular oats.
- Which is better instant oatmeal or regular?
Instant oatmeal is processed and may have more sugar and salt than regular oatmeal. Regular oatmeal takes time but is less processed than packaged, instant ones.
- Can we eat oats without cooking?
Oats can be eaten without cooking. Oats are common in many well-liked no-bake cookies. It is a good idea to start raw oats slowly. Drink fluids while eating them because some people have sensitive digestive systems.
While considering instant oatmeal for weight loss, you might also wonder if Honey Nut Cheerios are conducive to weight loss.