Making a cheese sauce with shredded cheese is just as easy and results in a more natural and flavorful sauce. In this article, we’ll guide you through the simple steps of making cheese sauce with shredded cheese.
How to make a cheese sauce with shredded cheese?
Cheese sauce is a versatile and delicious addition to many dishes, from mac and cheese to nachos to vegetables. Now, let’s see how you can go about it:
- Two tablespoons butter
- Two tablespoons flour
- One cup milk
- One cup of shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a combination)
- First, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Cook for one to two minutes until the mixture turns slightly golden brown. This is called a roux, and it will help thicken the sauce.
- Slowly add the milk to the roux, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Once all the milk has been added, continue whisking and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Once the mixture is simmering, reduce the heat to low and add the shredded cheese.
- Use a whisk to stir the cheese into the sauce until it fully melts and the sauce is smooth.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Tips and tricks for making perfect cheese sauce
- Use good quality shredded cheese. While pre-shredded cheese is convenient, it often contains anti-caking agents that can prevent it from melting smoothly. For the best results, shred your cheese from a block.
- Use a whisk to stir the cheese into the sauce. A whisk will help break up any lumps and ensure the cheese melts smoothly into the sauce.
- Make sure to cook the sauce evenly. Once the cheese has melted, the sauce is ready. Overcooking the sauce can cause it to become too thick or clumpy.
- Use the right amount of flour. The flour is used to thicken the sauce, but too much flour can result in a sauce that is too thick or has a floury taste. Use the recommended amount in the recipe and adjust as needed.
In conclusion, making cheese sauce with shredded cheese is a simple and delicious way to add flavor to your favorite dishes. Following the steps above and using good-quality ingredients, you can create a smooth and flavorful cheese sauce that will impress your family and friends. Whether using it to top your mac and cheese or as a dip for your nachos, homemade cheese sauce is always a crowd-pleaser. So, grab some cheese and get whisking!
1. What type of cheese is shredded?
The types of cheese perfect for shredding are:
2. Why is freshly shredded cheese better?
Shredded cheese is better because it tastes fresher and creamier. Also, the freshly grated cheese doesn’t have additional preservatives, and you’re shredding it immediately.
3. Is cheese sauce and mayonnaise the same?
Mayo has a tangy and slightly sweet taste, and it has a thin spread that doesn’t truly melt like cheese and keeps its consistency even after being cooked. On the other hand, cheese has a distinct texture and a nutty flavor.
Also, check out this: How To Heat Food In The Oven Without Cooking It?