Discover the best gluten-free flours perfect for creating luscious gravies and mouthwatering sauces. We dive into the top five contenders, offering a comprehensive breakdown of their features and benefits.
Top 5 Gluten-Free Flour for Gravy
Ingredient: Raw Whole Potatoes
- Potato flour is perfect for potato bread and cakes.
- Single-ingredient, gluten-free, vegan, and kosher.
- Derived from whole peeled potatoes, cooked and dehydrated.
- Enhances yeast bread moisture and shelf-life.
- Great thickener for sauces, gravies, and soups.
Pros & Cons
|– Good packaging|
– Great value for the quantity
– Produces bread with amazing texture
– Suitable for various bread types
– Enhances cinnamon bun recipes
– Offered in a large bag, which is cost-effective
– Free of allergen cross-contamination
– Perfect for bread-making
– Excellent coating for pan frying
– Less expensive with good taste
– Can be used as an additive in bread recipes
|– A bad batch may lead to food poisoning|
– Can be too dense, especially when mixed with other ingredients
– Has a consistency similar to cornmeal, which may not be ideal for certain recipes
– May produce mushy gravy
– Texture and consistency may not meet expectations
– Not suitable for all baking needs
This flour is a fantastic choice for those seeking a moisture-rich end product, making it ideal for gravies and sauces. It is a versatile and easy-to-use flour replacement.
Ingredient: 100% Pure Cornstarch
- Used extensively to thicken sauces, gravies, and soups.
- Zero cholesterol and non-GMO for better digestive health.
- Rich in magnesium, iron, niacin, B vitamins, and phosphorous.
- Perfect flour substitute, offering twice the thickening power.
Pros & Cons
|– As described, good quality cornstarch|
– More affordable than many retail brands
– Offers value for money
– Quick delivery
– Can be used as a safer alternative to talcum powder
– Suitable for various cooking needs
– Notable positive differences in cooking
– High quality and versatile in recipes.
|– Packaging issues with bags sometimes arriving open|
– Mislabeled product, leading to trust issues
– Potential cleanliness issues with sticky substances on the bag.
Corn Starch Powder is a reliable and widely used thickening agent. It’s ideal for those seeking a neutral-tasting gluten-free flour that offers enhanced thickening.
Ingredient: Milled Whole Brown Rice
- Retains germ, bran, fiber, and nutrients characteristic of whole grain.
- Imparts a richer, nuttier flavor to dishes.
- Gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free. Kosher, vegan, and non-GMO.
- Nutrition-packed with protein, fiber, and various vitamins.
Pros & Cons
|Cannot return due to Amazon’s return policy after a certain period.||Can taste stale/rancid.|
|Useful for sourdough loaves, prevents sticking to bannatons.||Texture can be like sand in some dishes.|
|Works well in gluten-free bread recipes.||May not absorb moisture and get soft.|
|Superfine brown rice flour which is less expensive and of better quality than most.||Good texture is recommended for cakes.|
|Finely milled and great for baked goods.||Cookies prepared with this flour may crumble and taste undesirable.|
|Excellent choice for gluten-free cinnamon rolls and muffins.||May not be the variant of brown rice flour that some consumers expected.|
|High quality, great for gluten-free baking.||There can be instances of bugs and larvae in the package.|
Brown Rice Flour is a nutritious and wholesome choice. Its rich flavor and diverse dietary compliance make it a top pick for various culinary needs, including gravies.
Ingredient: Hydrated Organic Chia Seeds and Organic Fruit Concentrates.
- Natural and certified gluten-free.
- No additives, preservatives, or artificial flavors.
- Shelf stable for longevity.
Pros & Cons:
|Issues with the texture of baked goods being too hard or crumbly.||Issues with packaging lead to flour spillage.|
|Great product at an affordable price.||Boxes arrived opened or damaged.|
|Useful for multiple baking and cooking purposes.||Misleading size and price information.|
|Closest alternative to real flour in baking.||Unpleasant taste for some recipes.|
|Issues with the texture of baked goods being too hard or crumbly.||The best gluten-free taste is found by many users.|
|Perfect for gluten-free baking.||Incompatible with certain diets like SCD.|
|Recognized as the best all-purpose gluten-free flour by many users.||Issues with texture of baked goods being too hard or crumbly.|
|Good balance of flours and emulsifiers, leading to better taste and texture.||Overwhelming starchy texture/taste.|
|Can be used to successfully recreate gluten-containing recipes.||Too much synthetic vitamin added, potentially causing stomach upset.|
|Often more affordable online than in local grocery stores.|
For those seeking a multi-purpose gluten-free flour without additives, King Arthur’s option is a top choice. It’s versatile and free from common allergens.
Ingredient: Finely milled White Rice.
- Batch tested and verified for gluten-free assurance.
- Perfect for baking goods, noodles, and thickening soups.
- Neutral flavor provides a crispy touch to baked or fried recipes.
|Useful to season couche.||The price is too high for the item.|
|Great for fried foods, adds crispiness and has a neutral flavor.||Arrived with only four months before expiration/best-by date.|
|Effective for lining banneton for sourdough.|
|Excellent for gluten-free baking; provides information about the product’s origin and uses.|
|Prevents bread dough from sticking to forms.|
|Neutral smell and taste, finely milled product.|
Anthony’s White Rice Flour stands out for its fine milling and neutral flavor. A great choice for those seeking gluten-free flour with a slightly crispy finish.
Which is the Best Option?
Each of these gluten-free flours brings unique properties and benefits to the table. Your choice will largely depend on the specific texture and flavor you desire for your gravy or sauce. However, for overall versatility, Potato Bread Flour and Corn Starch Powder are often top picks for most gravy preparations.